Monday, September 8, 2014

What's My Job?

So...I've got a blog. As I'm picking out fonts, font color, layout, pictures, sizing and just trying to not be overwhelmed making this blog overall attractive, I come to a little section in my Google+ profile that asks me about my job. If you know me, even as an acquaintance, you would know that I'm a stay at home mom. I thought about trying to write some sort of funny description about what I do, such as: chef, chauffeur, teacher, crafter, maid, etc., but that's all been done before in a much more humorous way than I could ever write and let's just face the facts...I'm just not that witty. Instead, what I wrote in my job description was the first thing that came to my mind. It reads: Raising up two members of the next generation to be contributing members of society. Hmm. That sounds like I actually know what I'm doing! This got me thinking. What does it actually mean to raise contributing members of society?
I suppose to do this, I must first and foremost teach my children what they're here for. What does our existence mean and why are we here? Easy enough, right? Ha! I am in no way qualified to answer that age-old question. The best I can do is to teach them what I know. What the Bible says is true. What many of us Christians know as The Great Commission. Matthew 28:18-20 says, "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'"  I am to raise my children first and foremost to know Jesus and to help them tell others about Jesus. Now, I could go on and on about the struggles that we will face meeting this criteria, but for the sake of time and attention spans, lets leave this as-is to be #1 on the list. While we're at it, let's put this into a reader-friendly list form.
  1. Teach my children about Jesus and help them tell others about Him.
  2. Vote. -Someone once told me this is what it means to them to contribute to society and it really struck a chord with me. It is not something I am not very good at. I like to stay blissfully ignorant on politics (I know I'm getting a lot of scoffs and eye-rolling right now). I'm not going to be a blind voter, so I usually don't vote. *gasp* Guess I really gotta step up my game on this one.
  3. Reduce your "carbon footprint." -Our city recycles, so we're covered on this, right?
  4. Give back. -I plan to, in the near future, get my children into some sort of volunteer activity. I think it's important for children to know the meaning of giving and helping the less fortunate. Some day I hope to take them on a missions trip.

There we have it. Not a huge list, but an important one. Notice it doesn't have anything about being a rocket scientist or earning over 100k/year? Good! As long as my children love the Lord, have good morals and don't wind up in jail, I'll consider myself a success. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what could be added to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment