Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Breakfast Tacos

Breakfast Tacos @ papermug.blogspot.com.jpg


 My favorite local Mexican restaurant has a dish called Huevos a la Abañil. It’s a scrambled egg dish served with warm tortillas and a side of rice and beans. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I happened upon this meal when my boyfriend at the time took me to this restaurant for breakfast. I didn't even know they were open for breakfast and wasn't quite sure I wanted to venture out that far. I mean, Mexican food is great for dinner, but to me, seems a little inappropriate heavy for breakfast. I ended up ordering the safest thing on the menu and was completely surprised by it’s deliciousness. Why hadn't I had Mexican food for breakfast before!?


 Since my family moved 5 ½ years ago, its safe to say I don’t get to eat there nearly as often as I’d like. Just recently we started growing jalapeños and I've been getting more creative with my recipes, trying to include them. Then...I discovered I can make something very similar to that breakfast dish! I changed it up a bit to make tacos instead of serving the eggs and tortillas separately. To me, it takes less time to eat which is a bonus.


 Now, bear with me with this recipe. I normally don’t use fat in my cooking besides butter and oil, but I think using reserved bacon or sausage fat adds an additional element of flavor that’s almost necessary. If you don’t have any or are unwilling to use it, I’m sure butter would work just fine. I haven’t tried it, so I can’t say if it will be as tasty.


Ingredients
1 tsp rendered fat
2 eggs
2 corn tortillas
2 small or 1 large jalapeño, julienned
1 slice white onion cut in half
½ roma tomato, julienned
¼ cup Mexican cheese mix
salt to taste


Directions
1. Melt fat in small skillet. Add jalapeño and onion. Saute over medium heat until soft.
2. Whisk eggs in small bowl.
3. Add tomato to eggs and stir. Add salt as desired.
4. When jalapeño and onion are soft, reduce heat to medium-low, add eggs, stirring occasionally.
5. When eggs are finished cooking, divide evenly on warm tortillas.
6. Top with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment